Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Getting back in touch with my primate heritage

I'm the plant and carpentry and general tasks guy, don't really have a lot to do with the alpacas. I spent a good deal of yesterday, however, helping to clean out the barn, which hadn't been mucked-out since 1993, apparently. Fun conversation when you can throw in the word "coprolite". SO I spent a large part of yesterday flinging old poo around the garden area. The rain last night helped push it down into the ground a bit. Today, I spent the morning setting up two of the raised beds. Took a lot out of me. Six wheelbarrow loads of dirt brought down from the top of the hill, and two and a half hours of hard work, and I'm still trying to recover after stopping for lunch, and then posting this and doing some other stuff online. Got to get moving, though, as I need to get two more beds in before dark.

Oakheart is coming along. We did a huge amount of work on the barn yesterday, which Tiffany will talk about more in depth. We tried to go in with Song, the neighbor, and rent a tiller, but it threw a badly frayed belt five minutes after I started trying to use it, and then the rental guy turned into the world's smallest and biggest jerk at the same time. So, no tiller. Not much tilling, considering I have to do it with a mattock and shovel. What I will more likely do is dump raw dirt on the open spaces, do the used-tire tomato and potato bed thing, do some open scattered-site gardening, then see what I can fill in with. There's pictures over on Facebook, if you follow this link.

So, we're halfway through our first week on the property, and starting to actually get things done. We're still not sure if we're physically up to this, but if we keep plugging away, maybe we'll drop some weight, build some muscle, and develop some stamina. In the meantime, there's always blogging to pass the time while recuperating for the next leg of the trip.

And what a long, strange trip it's being. But that's another post entirely for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment